2019 - 2020 Program Year Session Dates:
Fall 2019: Friday, October 4, 2019 - Friday, November 8, 2019
Winter 2020: Friday, January 17, 2020 - Friday, February 21, 2020
Spring 2020: Friday, April 3, 2020 - Friday, May 8, 2020
UT OLLI FORUM is a member-directed program comprised of members who enjoy lifelong learning on the UT Austin campus. The diverse backgrounds and varied life experiences that our members bring from their professions, travel, volunteer work and communities enrich our program offerings, discussions and friendships. Our seminars and lectures are planned and directed by volunteer committees of UT OLLI FORUM members with the support of UT OLLI program staff.
UT OLLI FORUM offers three six-week sessions each year that meet on Fridays from 9:30AM - 2:30PM from September to May.
The Seminar Committee works to create six seminars each session drawn from member interests. During registration, members sign up for in-depth seminars on such diverse subjects as:history, religion, health, science and public affairs. Each member is asked to indicate their first, second and third choice for each session.
Friday Seminars Schedule
- 9:30AM – First seminar begins
- 11:00AM – Second seminar begins
Seminar instructors include UT faculty, scholars and local experts offering in-depth knowledge and expertise in a broad range of subject areas. Recent seminar topics have included:
- Exploring the Skies: Astronomy today
- Shakespeare’s Infinite Variety
- A Conversation About Ethics and Wisdom: Ancient Insights with Modern Application
- What's Up Doc?: Perspectives on Medicine Today and Tomorrow
Lectures are conducted in the afternoon from 1:15PM - 2:30PM and are open to all members. Lecture topics explore the range of UT OLLI FORUM’S six areas of interest. The Lecture Committee recently produced:
- How to Be the Person Your Dog Thinks You Are: Why it's So Hard to be Good
- Epilepsy and Alzheimer's Disease: New Links Between Old Diseases
- The Good Immigrants : How the Yellow Peril became the Model Majority
- The Growing Role of Robotics. Artificial Intelligence in our Lives
All extracurricular activities are optional and require an additional, though nominal, cost.
Under the banner “More Than Just a Classroom Experience,” members gather at a variety of social activities throughout the year. Tours, field trips and shows are open to all for a nominal cost. An end-of-session social is scheduled every six weeks as a way to thank our Seminar and Lecture Speakers and the UT OLLI program staff. Events over the years have included:
- A field trip to San Antonio focusing on the King William District
- An evening at Esther’s Follies
- A field trip to Longhorn Caverns and Enchanted Rock
- A tour of Austin City Limits
Special Interest Groups (SIGs)
A variety of Special Interest Groups (SIGs) exists for all. The groups, which meet off-campus, reflect member’s interests and include book groups, dinner groups and the Wine after UT OLLI FORUM group. The dinner groups meet in the north, central and south Austin areas to make it convenient for everyone.
UT OLLI FORUM membership fees are paid annually and include all costs and assessments with the exception of optional excursions and social functions.